Illustration of the process of the packing design for “powder
cleaner” and study of the mould have been indicated in the
We made the first interviews to obtain the preliminary
information related to the design after we received our
customer’s request for the design, mould production and
bottle production of powder cleaner packing of 500 gr. and
1000 gr. During these interviews, it was understood that the
following issues should especially be paid attention.
• The packing will be made as two separate bottles of 500
gr. and 1000 gr.,
• The height of the shelves for these type of products in
the stores will be taken into account for the volume
determination of the both bottles,
• The bottles will have the maximum label space.
We started with our customer’s own
studies. These studies were hand made pattern studies by
considering the current applications. We made 3D model
studies by considering the production restrictions as well.
We evaluated these models one by one with our customer during
the joint meeting. We found out that the following clauses
should be applied as a result of the examination of the usage of
product and the status of the competitors and our sales,
marketing and service analysis.
• The cap design used in similar products should remain the same
but the opportunity for the application of a new cap in the
future should be provided,
• The patterns on the bottle should be designed as to prevent
• The wave shape on the brand logo should be used as a pattern
on the bottle.
In the next meeting, we eliminated the studies involved usage of
the wave shape on the bottle for various reasons. These reasons
included visual concerns as well as the necessity of the
straight line shape of the label limitation area on the top and
bottom sides of the bottle.
As a result, it was decided that the pattern on the top side of
the bottle would remain as it is on models on which it is
highlighted. The pattern used on the other packing of the
company would be used on the bottom side of the bottle. A
research should be made to determine how the pattern that is
often used in other brands in terms of reminding the product
should be used on the product of our customer.
The last two models that we made with
these data were presented to our customer. The packing was
designed in terms of shape as a result of an evaluation that
they made with a more extensive participation.
During the detailed design stage, we implemented the detailed
design of the bottles by considering the criteria that we
determined on subjects such as the ease of production,
suitability with automation and adjustment with the cap. These
criteria were as follows:
• The bottom borders of the label should be at the same height
as both bottles (small and big) will be labelled on the same
automatic labelling line,
• The diameters of both bottles should be the same for the same
• The harmony of the cap and the bottle in terms of shape should
be provided and the tap should be closed properly,
• The bottle should not be shaken in vertical position as the
filling process will be made automatically on conveyor,
• The patterns should be in a form that will not cause any
problems in the mould production.
We produced a prototype of each bottle after the detailed design
stage. These prototypes were used in label design, label
machinery design, filling and cap closing apparatus design and
dimensioning of the cupboard packing in which the product will
After the prototype approval process, mould design and
production were made by answering the following questions;
• How many grams will the bottle weigh?
• What will the daily or annual production quantity be?
• How long will the mould be used for or how many will working-cycle
of the mould be operated?
• Which machine will it be operated in?
• What are the possibilities for the usage of automation?
After answering the questions a/m, the production of the moulds
has been realised in our plant. Consequently, mass production of
the bottles has been continued by using own designed and